Established in 1897, the Godrej Group has its roots in India’s independence and ‘swadeshi’ movement. The purpose of building a self-reliant India was deeply ingrained in its founders. As markets evolved to become more globally competitive, the Group stepped up its game to become more customer-centric in all its businesses, whether consumer, institutional or industrial.
Godrej is an integral part of the social fabric of India and continues to contribute to building a better India. Today, it enjoys the patronage of over 1.1 billion consumers, globally, across consumer goods, real estate, appliances, agriculture and many other businesses. In fact, the brand’s geographical footprint extends beyond the physical boundaries of Earth, with its rocket engines now powering many of India's space missions. The essence of the Godrej brand is Brighter living, reflected in modern, high-quality products that are designed based on deep consumer insight and attention to detail.
Godrej and Boyce Manufacturing Co. Ltd. is a part of the Godrej Group of Companies. Its journey began with manufacturing of high quality locks in 1987 and, over time, it has continued to hone and build outstanding engineering capabilities. These unique capabilities enable the firm to develop and deliver advanced, high-quality products across diverse categories to discerning customers, worldwide. An exhaustive list of the company’s business units is as under:
- Godrej Appliances – a leading player in the consumer durables market space with strong presence in refrigerators, washing machines, air conditioners and microwave.
- Godrej Interio – the largest furniture manufacturer in India with solutions for homes, offices, education institutes, laboratories, hospitals and marine accommodation.
- Godrej Security Solutions – the largest player in the physical security market in India that also plays in electronic security and premise security solutions space.
- Godrej Locking Solutions and Systems – the largest provider of high quality locking solutions in India with a product portfolio including padlocks, door locks and furniture locks among others.
- Godrej Storage Solutions – a pioneer and market leader in India in integrated material storage and handling for warehousing, shop floor and record management requirements.
- Godrej Material Handling - a market leader in India of material handling equipment such as forklift trucks, warehouse trucks and hand-pallet trucks.
- Godrej Precision Engineering – a high-precision build-to-print fabricator to the critical and extracting requirements of the nuclear market segment, defence and wind energy sector.
- Godrej Process Equipment – a global supplier of process equipment such as heavy walled reactors and vessels, high pressure shell, tube heat exchangers etc. for refineries, fertilizer plants, chemical factories and the power sector.
- Godrej Aerospace – a manufacturer of mission-critical equipment for the defence and space sectors that has recently made forays into the civil aviation industry as a supplier of high-precision, fabricated components.
- Godrej Tooling – one of the Asia’s largest and most sophisticated tool rooms, capable of handling many challenges in the design, manufacturing and testing of precision tools, predominantly for the automotive sector and special purpose machines for a wide range of industries.
- Godrej Electricals and Electronics – a solution provider in the areas of turnkey electrical contracts for power distribution/transmission for commercial, residential and industrial electrification, MEP projects, automation in manufacturing industries beside embedded technologies, compressed air systems and green building consultancy.
- Godrej Prima – a leading manufacturer of high quality table-top beverage vending machines for the world market in collaboration with Veromatic International.
- Godrej Construction – a custodian for Godrej-owned real estate. It manages property development and property leasing, besides supplying ready-mix concrete and allied products to external customers.
- Lawkim Motors – a trusted manufacturer of specialized electric motors for hermetically sealed compressors and other industrial applications.
The company’s values are integrity, trust, service, respect and stewardship of the environment. The firm is a responsible and respected corporate citizen and is well-known for its philanthropy and its fair, transparent and ethical business practices.
The company’s Business Excellence (BE) journey started way back in 2004 when Godrej Locking Solutions and Systems adopted the EFQM model with support from Confederation of Indian Industries (CII). In 2009, a Corporate Business Excellence department was created with the objective of helping all the businesses on their BE journey. One by one, each BU began its BE endeavour and by 2016, several of the company’s BUs had started applying for the CII-EXIM Bank Award for Business Excellence. Godrej Locking Solutions and Systems became the first Godrej BU to win the award (highest award for Business Excellence in India based on EFQM Model, in 2014) and was soon followed by Godrej Interio, in 2017.
The Company’s leadership team had always had a strong passion for quality of systems, processes and products. The firm’s founder, the late Naoroji Godrej was a role model for Excellence with his passion for continuous improvement. It was his obsession with Quality that led to the development of organizational structures and processes that proved to be immensely helpful in making Godrej what it is today. To pay tribute to his passion for excellence and to make the company’s BE journey more about enabling the BUs to win sustainably in their markets, the ‘Naoroji Godrej Award for Business Excellence’ was institutionalised in 2017, the year of his birth centenary. Based on the EFQM model, an internal evaluation process was set up to measure the maturity of excellence practices and sustainability of results of each BU. The firm decided to join EFQM as an ‘Affiliate Member’ to get access to world-class knowledge and timely support. Godrej & Boyce is the first Indian company to do so.
In today’s globally competitive and uncertain world, the firm has set a stretched, long-term objective for itself – to create an organisation that can achieve “Predictable, Profitable, and Sustainable Growth”. The deployment of the EFQM model in each business is an invaluable process on the path to achieving this objective. The firm looks forward to strengthening its relationship with EFQM and learning continually from best-in-class management and leadership practices as incorporated in the EFQM model.
Anil G. Verma
President and Executive Director
Godrej and Boyce Mfg. Co. Ltd